Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blog for Top or Post for the Most

Dear Friends,

Every decade has an emerging trend that requires immediate attention. Otherwise you just miss another opportunity to change your life for better. So what is trendy today? What makes difference in a viral world? One word comes to mind. Blogging. Go to every corner of the world and you will see a blogger standing out of the crowd. Just like many of you I also had  "What is this new "blogging" fewer? Should I involve myself into it?" kind of questions. 

What is a blog? 
A blog  is a hyper-active version of web page which consists of  "posts" typically displayed in reverse chronological order so the most recent post appears first. Blogs are usually the work of a single individual, occasionally of a small group.

Who can be a blogger?
Anyone who wants to be. There are no limitations on age, gender or field of expertise. All you need to know is Wordpress or Blogspot skills which you can get in two weeks depending on time you have and previous internet knowledge. Besides you will need a personal domain or web-platform to start blogging.
Go to blogspot.com or wordpress.org to get the basic info on how to start.

What to blog about?
Anything that comes to your mind is welcome. In fact internet has the most transparent audience. Though famous bloggers today blog about personal experience, fashion, online tutorials, daily tips or international news. In addition to that you can also do video blogging via youtube if you are not into typing and editing. So it is up to you to decide on the topic but please make sure you write some solid content which will intrigue the readers and gives a better scope on your personality. I will reflect back on the "content" issue later on my other posts.

Why do you need blogging?
Answers may seem obvious but you should take some time and make a serious decision before you actually start blogging. A blog presumes a lot of time, energy and passion investment from any individual who agrees upon above mentioned terms. So you must be willing to pay the cost for a particular reason that matters only for you. I personally had three reasons that I want to share with you and hope it helps in your decision making.

1. Blogging gives instant publicity. (Brand yourself for free) 
Firstly, I admit that I started my primary blog just for fun and had no definite purpose. But as I got involved in it I found myself swayed by the power of blogging tools. Something I started for fun turned out to be 6000 Page views in 57 days. I did not imagine such publicity before. I could not sleep on the 58th day because I knew this was something big.
Imagine HR department of some fancy company calling you over night and saying they are interested in having you as their employee. Sounds perfect, doesn't it? I got a message from the chief editor of Cosmopolitan Azerbaijan  saying Joshgun are you interested in contributing for us? I was flattered to read it. I never got into direct touch with that magazine publisher before blogging. Only after that offer I felt the endless opportunities coming towards me.  
 Think about your blog as an eye-catching CV or PR release that attracts visitors online. Besides you enjoy this branding tool for free. All you need is some tutorials on how to pr yourself. In this respect I advise you to visit problogger.net and see what Darren Rowse has to say about self-branding and blogging to get your goals achieved. I personally learned a lot from this man and today I eat the fruits of my sleepless nights sitting in front of his tutorial videos.

2. Blogging means extra income. (Make money online)
Over a period of time as you evolve into a professional blogger you get decent amount of money for doing your "thing".  Today there are plenty of sites that look for freelance writers, contributors and copywriters. In addition to that you get Google Adsense which gives you money in return to their ads which are placed within your blog page. I promise to cover this topic briefly on one of my upcoming posts.

There is something you should know before dreaming about big pay cheques. Any six-fugure income earner admits that it takes at least 2-5 years to make this happen. So do not expect outrageus results over night. But hey, cheers up 2-5 years are better than 20-40 years of 9-6 life span which is not financially fit.

3. Blogging gives a better ability to share (Help others)
There are millions of people using Google and other search engines for one particular reason. They want to lear how. Most of them search for the best tutorial that gives them what they want. I remember times when I started with no idea on how to make a blog. I was lost and helpless. Later I decided to go online and see if someone else is willing to share the HOW? I got shocked to see thousands of people who posted online tutorials and tips that eased up the whole blogging procedure. From platform design to content marketing, from html secrets to traffic sourcing...you can find anything out on the web.
You can share your knowledge, your experience, your ideas with other people in a matter of seconds. The power of blogging is power of people who are willing to help others. So if you have something important to share but you are not into writing a book or doing a fancy conference then blogging is a perfect solution. In less than two weeks you get the massive ability to give away usefull data that enriches other people's lives. What could be better than that?
So If you have not made your mind about blogging consider these reasons and make your choice afterwards.
Good Luck!